The baby responded with a happy leg shake and wide eyes which clearly seemed to communicate, Oooh…sounds important!
Then he shook his hands excitedly above his head, I love secret missions! I’ve been working on Operation Stay the H.E.Double Hockey Sticks Awake for almost a year now. It’s been remarkably successful.
We know, Goobs. We know. But your mission ends tonight.
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 lemon, finely zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- 1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1/3 cup mandarin orange slices, well drained and chopped
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and flour a large loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. With an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Add the lemon juice, zest, and rum. Gradually add the flour mixture, about a third at a time. Beat just until blended. Stir in the coconut, pineapple, and mandarin oranges. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for about 75 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Cool 15 minutes in pan, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
To make the glaze: Combine the confectioner’s sugar with lemon juice, a little at a time, until it reaches a thick, but fluid consistency. Use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the cake. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.